Turmeric milk benefits: 3 ways to prepare this delicious healthy drink
It's a big possibility that you have never heard of turmeric milk, especially when even turmeric can be too exotic for some people. But, due to its fabulous health benefits, more health-conscious individuals are now trying to incorporate this delicious concoction in their meals.
Besides being a relaxing and soothing night drink, turmeric milk is known to relieve that pesky chronic cough, headaches, and menstrual cramps due to its astringent and antiseptic properties. What more, The Health Site states it can also protect the liver from hepatitis, arthritis and can purify blood because of the presence of curcumin that prevents multiplication of viruses.
To introduce this drink to your lifestyle, here is a list of three recipes to help you prepare turmeric milk.
TRADITIONAL TURMERIC MILK
1. Mix a pinch of turmeric powder and a tablespoon of sugar to a glass of fresh milk.
2. Boil the mixture for about ten to fifteen minutes on slow heat.
3. Once it is boiling, add a dash of freshly ground pepper to the milk concoction.
4. Remove from heat. Transfer to a glass or mug.
5. Enjoy it chilled or warm. To attain its benefits, drink turmeric milk daily before bedtime.
TURMERIC ALMOND MILK
Pop Sugar shares a recipe with a twist for this health drink. This is better served chilled and can be a post-workout drink to help curb muscle soreness, improve your digestion and help you achieve your weight loss goals. This can also be a good substitute to the fresh milk variant for vegans.
1. Combine a cup of unsweetened almond milk, half a teaspoon of ground turmeric powder, half a teaspoon of ground ginger, a quarter of a teaspoon of ground cardamom and a teaspoon of honey together in a Mason jar.
2. Screw the lid tight and shake vigorously for two minutes.
3. Strain the mixture through a fine strainer in a bowl.
4. Pour the purified mixture in a big mug.
5. Chill it for a few minutes in the fridge or drink it immediately.
TURMERIC GOLDEN MILK TEA
Wellness Mama concocts a recipe that can be vegetarian-friendly as well, because instead of fresh milk, this variant uses coconut milk, another healthy food choice. This milk concoction can help increase enzyme production to aid in fat and sugar digestion, preventing cholesterol to form gallstones.
1. Combine a can of coconut milk with a cup of water. However, if you can get your hands on homemade coconut milk, make sure you get three cups of those.
2. In a high speed blender, mix coconut milk mixture, a teaspoon of turmeric, a teaspoon of cinnamon, a teaspoon of honey, a quarter of a teaspoon of grated ginger, a dash of black pepper and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
3. Transfer the blended concoction into a saucepan for three to five minutes over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
4. Remove from heat and let it cool down before straining.